Leading UQ Veterinary Technicians achieve rare status

26 Oct 2022
Gary and Bec with a chicken
Gary and Bec are the only two people in the southern hemisphere with the qualification. Image: supplied.

Two lead veterinary nurses at The University of Queensland have received a rare qualification possessed by no other specialist in the southern hemisphere.

After a rigorous process, Gary Fitzgerald and Rebecca de Gier received their Veterinary Technician Specialist (VTS) certifications, currently held by only 14 people in the world.

Rebecca de Gier is Nurse Manager at UQ Vets, where she leads a team of 60 Technicians and Nurses across three hospitals.

She said sharing this achievement alongside such a close workmate made the occasion extra special.

“Gary and I have a real passion for gold-standard veterinary care for exotic animals and without the support of him and several others, I don’t think I would have kept at it,” Rebecca said.

“We would study late nights using flash cards and send random questions throughout the day, and sometimes we’d even get other staff members to walk the hospital halls with us asking questions.

Bec with a parrot“COVID also meant our original plan to sit the exam in 2020 in America became impossible, and several delays followed – so it became a very drawn-out process.

“But it was all worth it when I got that call from Gary saying to check my emails – I was shaking as I read it out loud.

“It was such a joyous moment, and Gary and I called Trish Farry who was our biggest supporter, then I called my parents and grandparents to share the news.”

Gary Fitzgerald is Practice Manager for the Veterinary Teaching Hospitals, and said it was a long and nerve wracking wait to find out if they’d passed the exam.

“It was quite a while after sitting the exam, about 10 weeks,” he said.

“I really wanted Bec and I to be the first in Australia, so it was amazing to share such an honour with someone I’ve worked with for many years.

“We both advocate for the health, wellbeing, and care of all the unique, unusual, and exotic pets.

“While they’re not the traditional pet, they still need care, and it really takes passion, knowledge, and expertise to care for them.”

With the new title comes an important new responsibility for the two, moving forward.

“As Veterinary Technicians, we are committed to lifelong learning,” Gary said.

“I will continue to advocate for Veterinary Technicians and Nurses in Australia.

Gary with albino koala“They are incredibly valuable, and in my experience, it is a team of veterinary professionals that create positive outcomes for our clients and their pets.

“I will continue to pursue continued professional development and hopefully motivate some new technicians and nurses to make the jump into applying for a VTS.”

Rebecca said she hopes the new qualification will open doors for her career as a teacher and mentor.

“I would like to host some continued education opportunities for other nurses and technicians in Australia and abroad,” she said.

“I will also continue to grow the component of exotic pet medicine in university degrees as exotic pet ownership in Australia continues to grow.

“Another area I’m hoping to get more involved in is wildlife conservation – where I’d like to ensure the continued survival of animals like koalas in the wild.”

Media: Gary Fitzgerald, g.fitzgerald1@uq.edu.au, +61 (0)4 23 933 074; Rebecca De Gier, r.vercoe@uq.edu.au; Faculty of Science Media, science.media@uq.edu.au, +61 (0)438 162 687.