Dr Singh recognised at prestigious awards

2 Aug 2019
Dr Shweta Singh
Dr Shweta Singh

University of Queensland’s Dr Shweta Singh has been recognised at the recent Queensland Training Awards, winning the Darling Downs regional finals for the VET Teacher or Trainer of the Year award.

The prestigious awards celebrate top achievers in training in the state, recognising individuals and organisations that strive for and have achieved success, best practice and innovation in vocational education and training.

Dr Singh was delighted to receive recognition for her outstanding and innovative teaching practices as a Trainer of Diploma in Agribusiness Management at UQ Skills at the university’s Gatton campus.

“I was extremely humbled and proud when I found out that I was a regional winner,” she said.

With a background in agribusiness, business management, plant science and environmental science, Dr Singh is an experienced educator across all levels of the Australian Qualifications Framework.

She has also been recognised at national and international conferences for her pedagogic practices.

She is dedicated to supporting training and development needs of students through the belief that passion drives excellence.

“I’m a big believer in the age old saying that ‘sharing is caring’ and I’m so grateful that every day I get to share my passion with those around me, especially my students,” she said.

“My role is to empower my students with the knowledge and skills needed for future success, so I pride myself in creating innovative learning environments and experiences that are practical, engaging and deeply memorable.”

Passionate about giving back to the community, Dr Singh also serves as a Director and Board member of The Centre for Women & Co., who provide free counselling, advocacy, training and holistic wellbeing services to women and their families.

Dr Singh is now competing against other regional winners for the coveted VET Teacher or Trainer of the Year Queensland Training Award, which will be announced at the 2019 Queensland Training Awards State Gala Dinner in Brisbane on Saturday 14 September.

Media: Dr Shweta Singh, shweta.singh@uq.edu.au, +61 7 5460 1355; Dominic Jarvis, dominic.jarvis@uq.edu.au, +61 413 334 924.