Prestigious scholarship adventure awaits Sophie

5 Apr 2023
Sophie headshot
2023 Our World-Underwater Scholarship Society® Australasian OWUSS Scholar, Sophie Kalkowski-Pope. Image: Supplied

University of Queensland marine science and geography student, Sophie Kalkowski-Pope, is the first UQ student to be named an Our World-Underwater Scholarship Society® Australasian OWUSS Scholar.

The prestigious Rolex-funded scholarship, which aims to upskill young leaders with the potential to facilitate change in the marine field, allows Ms Kalkowski-Pope to travel the world extensively for a year and gain practical skills, dive qualifications, and work with global leaders in the field.

Ms Kalkowski-Pope said the scholarship is the realisation of a long-held dream and will transform her ability to make a positive impact in the world, for the protection of our oceans and the planet.

“I’ve been aspiring to this for over five years now, but only ever dreamed it would become a reality,” she said.

“Imagine being put in a room with all your ocean heroes, dream mentors, favourite organisations and research groups and being told to pick who to work with – it’s utterly life changing.

“Only three people get selected from around the world each year, so I’m incredibly humbled but also excited for the year ahead.”

Sophie scuba diving
Sophie is a member of UQ's CoralWatch program. Image: Supplied

Growing up in the coastal region of Cairns, surrounded by reef and rainforests, Sophie’s childhood consisted of outdoor adventures and regular trips to the Great Barrier Reef.

At five years old she was already snorkelling and at age 13 she began diving – her passion for the underwater world was in full flight.

“Having seen the beauty of our coral reefs so up close, bearing witness to the 2017 mass bleaching event on my local reefs in Cairns was a pivotal moment in my life,” Ms Kalkowski-Pope said.

“This catalysed not just my passion for marine conservation, but also the importance of sharing these issues to a broader audience through science communication.

“I think we have a tremendous opportunity in this era of unprecedented change to have a positive impact on the future – and it is my goal and passion to do so.”

Sophie speaking at youth parliament
Sophie speaking in Queensland Youth Parliament. Image: Supplied

A former President of the UQ Marine Society, Sophie also works part time at CoralWatch, UQ’s coral reef conservation organisation and global citizen science reef monitoring program.

In that role, she educates communities about citizen science, climate change, and how we can protect reefs into the future.

“I’ve always had a passion for engaging with the broader community on the issue of marine conservation, and these opportunities afforded me some terrific learning experiences,” Ms Kalkowski-Pope said.

“I’d like to thank the fantastic team at CoralWatch, the UQ Marine Society, and countless lecturers from the School of Biological Sciences and School of Earth and Environmental Sciences who have encouraged me during other projects.

“Of course, I wouldn’t be here without the unending support of my family and friends who inspired my love for our underwater world right from the beginning.”

As for her future, Ms Kalkowski-Pope said the next 12 months would play a big role in helping her decide what that might look like.

“I’d like to further my scientific diving and undertake some practical work in industry, film, or the not-for-profit sector,” she said.

“Ultimately, I’ll likely return to study to complete an honours or master’s degree, with the long-term goal of working in management or policy roles where I can have broadscale impacts.”

More information can be found on the website of the Our World-Underwater Scholarship Society's Scholarship Program.

Media: Faculty of Science Media, science.media@uq.edu.au, +61 438 162 687.