Stay-at-home mum now lauded UQ Skills graduate

8 Sep 2022

Jaimee nurses a ginger kitten.
Meet Lace: a kitten Jaimee nursed back to health. Supplied.

UQ Skills graduate Jaimee Radke has been announced as 2022 Darling Downs South West Vocational Student of the Year at the recent Queensland Government Queensland Training Awards.

The former stay-at-home mum went above and beyond in her studies and has been acknowledged for her completion of a Certificate IV in Animal Control and Regulation through The University of Queensland’s vocational training organisation, UQ Skills.

Ms Radke said the award’s announcement was an incredibly proud moment.

“It’s been a whirlwind – I went from being a stay-at-home mum, dreaming of working in animal management, to becoming a supervisor in animal management, within two years,” she said.

“I’ve always wanted to work in this space and UQ Skills’ program gave me the support and training I needed to be successful.

“I truly feel more empowered, supported and motivated than ever.”

Ms Radke primarily completed the training online, with direct support from a UQ trainer and a work-based learning provider, the Western Downs Regional Council.

“Being a mum, carrying out full-time training and working eight-and-a-half hours a day wasn't easy, but I was given support from both UQ Skills and the Council, helping me work through any challenges.

“Without the support I received from UQ Skills, I may have never become the person I always wanted to be.

“I’ve been able to pursue a career I love, while giving back to my community.”

Jaimee with 3 dogs.
Working with animals was always Jaimee's dream. Supplied.

After graduating, Ms Radke was immediately appointed in a senior supervisory position, as a Local Laws Supervisor at the Western Downs Regional Council.

“It can be a mentally draining role, but my training gave me the skills to work through conflict situations and lead my team when needed,” she said.

“Every day I’m leading my team through animal management requests, and I cannot thank UQ Skills enough for everything.

“I’ve now become so passionate, confident and enthusiastic about a career I thought I had missed out on.

“I plan to continue building my qualifications, hopefully becoming more successful within the field of animal management.”

Ms Radke is now heading off to the QLD State Awards where UQ Skills will also attend in support.

More information about UQ Skills’ current vocational education and training offerings can be explored on their programs page.

Media: Faculty of Science Media, science.media@uq.edu.au, +61 (0)438 162 687.