Future ag leader hopes to help feed the world

6 Apr 2021

Jessie HarperUniversity of Queensland agricultural scientist Jessie Harper has received a Westpac Future Leaders scholarship, hoping to improve sustainable farming practices and productivity globally.

The emerging PhD researcher, who graduated from a Bachelor of Agricultural Science (Honours) program in 2020, will receive up to $120,000 in research study support, along with leadership training and networking opportunities.

Ms Harper’s was inspired to pursue a career in agriculture while growing up in rural Queensland, at her family’s small beef cattle farm in the Lockyer Valley.

“Growing up in a regional community really instilled a passion for agriculture, and an appreciation of where food comes from,” Ms Harper said.

“My fondest childhood memory is visiting my grandparents’ farm, picking and eating fruit from the trees, eating Grandma’s cooking, and playing with the animals – pet dogs, sheep, cattle, parrots and chickens.

“These were extremely formative experiences, shaping my passion for agriculture, and really showing me the importance of family and community.”

While studying agricultural science at UQ Gatton, the inquisitive student began to think more about global food production.

“I had the opportunity to attend a UQ study program in Indonesia – a pivotal experience that changed my career aspirations, which provided me with a global perspective on agriculture,” Ms Harper said.

“Agricultural research is such a valued discipline overseas, while – here in Australia – we often take food security for granted.

“The Indonesian farmers had such pride in their crops and livestock and were extremely generous to the Australian students – they ignited a desire in me, to help improve their productivity and livelihoods.

“We saw firsthand the challenges of food security facing the world and I understood the importance of agriculture in alleviating poverty.

“I believe that helping improve agriculture in developing countries can lead to positive social change, helping build the capacity of farmers.”

Now, with support from Westpac and UQ, Ms Harper hopes to make her mark on the world.

“I’m so thrilled to be recognised with this scholarship – it offers the insights, learning and inspiration needed to tackle global agricultural problems,” Ms Harper said.

“And the Westpac network will provide invaluable access to incredible people from diverse disciplines, as well as training through their nine-month Leadership Development Program.

“It also supports more transformational international experiences, through travel funding, and will help facilitate my research to have a positive impact in people’s lives.”

More information about the Westpac Future Leaders scholarship, including how to apply, can be found on the scholarship’s website.

Media: Dominic Jarvis, dominic.jarvis@uq.edu.au, +61 413 334 924.