Prestigious award for UQ workplace integrated learning partner

30 Oct 2020

ACEN logoThanks to a University of Queensland School of Veterinary Science nomination, the RSPCA Queensland has been recognised with an Australian Collaborative Education Network (ACEN) Collaboration Award.

The prestigious award was announced at the conclusion of the ACEN WIL Virtual Summit 2020, acknowledging the organisation’s collaboration with UQ, providing a sustained and significant contribution to workplace integrated learning (WIL).

The RSPCA’s Lorraine Hannah Animal Hospital, Wacol, has successfully accommodated each and every final year veterinary student from UQ for a two-week intensive WIL experience, for the past 10 years.

Hospital veterinarians and technicians afford veterinary students with a multitude of opportunities to participate, under their supervision, in the day-to-day activities of caring for injured and ill wildlife and domestic animals.

UQ’s Dr John Mallyon joined the awards ceremony to accept on behalf of the RSPCA.

“At the time I accepted the award on behalf of the RSPCA, I had four students actively engaged in surgical and medical procedures,” Dr Mallyon said.

“It was a lovely example of WIL at a most appropriate time.

“This is a great achievement for one of our most valued industry partners to be recognised with a national award for their contribution to work integrated learning.”

Students who have undertaken WIL at the RSPCA have consistently reported that their experience significantly contributed to their development as veterinarians-in-the-making.

“The best aspects of this placement was that I was able to take on a junior clinician role, conducting consultations, being involved in planning and treatment of the patients,” one student said.

“I was also able to practice my technical skills in the surgeries and administering medication to our patients, and the tutorials as they allowed me to revise topics that I have not yet been able to cover at home.

“I feel like this placement allowed me to grow as a clinician and realise I need to work on my self-confidence.” 

UQ’s Faculty of Science is no stranger to ACEN award success when, in 2018, the School of Earth and Environmental Sciences nominated the Wildlife Preservation Society of Queensland, the winner of the Local Hero Award. 

The Faculty would like to pass its congratulations to RSPCA Queensland, UQ’s School of Veterinary Science, Dr Mallyon and to all the staff who contributed the nomination, including Eva King, Jodie Kowaltzke, and Dr Daniel Schull.